dimanche 9 septembre 2012

Lync 2013, IPv6 and Directaccess

 
Hi everyone,
This is my first post about Lync and my last about Directaccess clip_image001

With Lync 2013 Preview, ipv6 is fully supported, so directaccess should work with Lync. Let’s check!

Firstly, we need to configure the lync topology. There is only one standard front-end server.
My sip domain is labda.local. Directaccess clients are configured to send every packet to labda.local domain in the IPsec tunnel.
clip_image002

My environment is full ipv6 so I disable IPv4 and enable IPv6 in the topology builder.
clip_image003

I activate the enterprise voice and the conferencing service on this server.

Ok now let’s check that Lync 2013 is working on the client!
Firstly, the dns resolution for the automatic configuration (2abc::11 is the dns server on my nrpt table, it’s the directaccess server):
clip_image004

Great, now let’s connect the lync client.
clip_image005

And a call? (i have only one user clip_image001[1]). It’s working.
clip_image006

And a meet now?
clip_image007

So every thing is working is IPV6. Even Location services!
clip_image008

Even location services? Maybe not… Let’s check on the client…
clip_image009

No proposition, what is my ipv6 address?
clip_image010

Mmmm, very weird… Snooper is my friend!! So firstly, turn on tracing on my client
clip_image011

I get a log file on the client, stored in
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\Tracing
Let’s analyze the log with snooper, and search the keyword subnet
clip_image012
clip_image013

So the subnet information sent by the client contains the ipv4 address, that’s why i don’t get my location information. So Lis doesn’t work with directaccess ip. I thing that it’s a normal behavior, we cannot predict where my client will be with directaccess. The best location with directaccess is somewhere!

Bye

4 commentaires:

  1. Great posting, just wanted to ask you if your DA client was using Lync Edge server for this test? At this point I'm not sure if Lync 2013's support for Ipv6 replaces the need for an Edge server, would you know anything about this? Thanks again

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hi,

    Yes with lync 2013, you can have external users without a lync edge!
    Be careful with the audio quality because the audio flow is crypted via an ipsec tunnel, so the latency increases.

    And without edge, no federation and anonymous meetings!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I have window 8 and i configure microsoft uag. It's working fine and with lync 2013 we can have external users without a lync edge. Thanks for sharing wonderful information with us. Waiting for your next post.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. You're Welcome ;)
    I advice you to use Windows Server 2012 for directaccess, specially with windows 8. You will gain better performance (latency) with the new encryption method. This is very important with real time communication.

    RépondreSupprimer